Beauty Bar to Billboard: Visions Become Reality
Last year I met and photographed the owner of a Beauty Bar. Her vision was to build a salon her way. In the spirit of building a sisterly community, we encourage women to share their thoughts too. Our first question is: "What's Your Vision?"
On Friday Nov 2nd, my vision for In Her Words is became a reality on a TIMES SQUARE BILLBOARD!
In Her Words started the day I heard about Trump’s pussy grabbing video. Utterly disgusted, I had to channel my negative energy in a healthy way. ART! Mixing handwriting with photography, I made a series of self-portraits around themes of sexual harassment, beauty, and self-doubt. When I finished, I felt like I was just getting started. To see the bigger picture, I needed to amplify more women's voices. What battles and triumphs were other women facing in their daily lives?
Together, featured women and I create photo illustrations of their personal experiences. While validating these women's stories, we invite viewers to question their own inner dialogues and interactions. What emerges is empathy, connection, and new perspectives on what women experience. Every. Single. Day.
Our goal is to foster a supportive sisterly community by creating a sense of belonging across cultures, races, classes, and generations.
You are invited to join us on this journey of community building. We are an inclusive group, here to reflect on women’s battles and triumphs of every day life.
- People who identify as women to be featured in a photo story.
- Women in the community to share responses to questions that relate to the featured photo story.
- People of any gender, class, race, identity, age, religion to contribute to constructive dialogue.
HOW CAN I JOIN THE IHW COMMUNITY?
- Join our milestones mailing list below!
- Follow us on Instagram @inherwordsdiary.
- Share this project and contribute to the dialogue.
- Help bring the actual diary to life in 2019. (Stay tuned.)
- Host an In Her Words Diary gathering.
HELP CREATE & CELEBRATE OUR MILESTONES!
"That we can lovingly delight in each other's successes as if they were our own." - IHW community member's response to What's Your Vision?